Pediatric dentistry deals with oral health issues of children from birth through adolescence. A pediatric dentist strives hard to maintain the oral health of children and also educates parents on good oral habits and provides nutritional counseling. They train hard to specialize in providing care and best dental treatments for oral issues affecting children's teeth, gums, and other structures present in the oral cavity.
Oral care should start early to prevent oral decay and diseases that can lead to a lifetime of pain and complications. Parents should take their child to the dentist as soon the first deciduous tooth erupts through the gums. Also, it is important to develop an ongoing relationship between the child and the dentist to prevent the development of dental anxiety and fear in the future.
What are the services available under pediatric dentistry?
Pediatric dentists provide comprehensive oral health care that includes the following:
- Every child is special and has different oral needs. Pediatric dentists provide a versatile range of services to help children with their oral needs. Custom-designed treatment plans are developed for each child to meet his unique needs.
- Professional dental cleanings for children to remove plaque and tartar deposits from hard to reach areas in the mouth. It is recommended to bring your child for a dental cleaning twice every year.
- Infant oral examinations for risk assessment for caries in both the mother and the child.
- Diagnostic services using digital and panoramic X-rays to detect oral health issues at early stages and nip them in the bud.
- Restorative dental services to repair decayed and damaged teeth, using dental crowns, veneers, and tooth fillings.
- Endodontic services for treating root canal infections. Children are more prone to develop infected roots because deciduous teeth have their pulp chambers too close to the chewing surface.
- Tooth extraction for deciduous teeth that fail to fall out naturally. Teeth with large cavities and irreversible damage are also extracted to attain optimum oral health.
- Fluoride treatment for strengthening the tooth enamel. The tooth enamel gets worn down with time and becomes vulnerable to decay. Fluoride gel is painted on the surface of teeth to remineralize the enamel and protect it from decays and bacterial infestation. It is done for both deciduous and permanent teeth.
- Dental sealants for protecting the teeth against decay. Pre molars and molars have vulnerable areas like grooves and pits which are hard to clean with a toothbrush. Dental sealants are used to seal the chewing surfaces of teeth with a plastic coating to prevent plaque and food particles from accumulating in them. They prevent teeth from developing cavities.
- Monitoring the growth and development of the teeth and jaws to provide early orthodontic care for preventing the development of orthodontic issues like malocclusion, crooked teeth and crowding. Orthodontic devices like space maintainers are used for guided teeth eruption. In case the child develops orthodontic problems when he reaches adolescence, braces, aligners, and retainers are used to straighten teeth.
- Emergency dental care in the case of dental trauma, including lost dental prosthetics, fractured or knocked-out teeth, and excruciating toothaches.
- Performing oral and maxillofacial surgeries for treating severe oral health conditions.
- Coordinating with pediatricians and other medical specialists to promote children's health.
- Parents are educated on preventative home care to enable them to create a good oral care regimen for their children, which includes:
- Demonstration of correct ways to brush and floss.
- Caries risk assessment.
- Habit counseling to prevent the development of bad oral habits like thumb sucking and prolonged use of pacifiers.
- Steps to follow in case of dental emergencies.
- Nutritional and diet counseling for including healthy foods that promote good oral health.
At Ayoub Dental we employ the practices of modern dentistry to systematically repair damage and enhance the appearance of your smile. We design a custom plan for each patient to meet their individual requirements. For further doubts and queries, book an appointment with us or visit our office today.